I’ve seen a few episodes of the hit show Breaking Bad. It’s the tale of a chemistry teacher with an incurable form of cancer who turned meth manufacturer in order to provide for his family once he dies.
The show can get pretty violent, thus the reason for me not becoming a raving fan. I’m not a Scandal gladiator either…I’m just not that in to TV.
There was one thing that caught my attention on Breaking Bad. Whenever a witness was killed, the common response was, “It had to be done.”
This phrase resonated with me.
Not in the sense of approving murder but in the very real sense of doing what needs to be done to make sure you reach your goal.
- Women who go back to school, stay up late to get assignments finished just to make a better life for their families will tell you it had to be done.
- Women who get up at the crack of dawn and hit the gym and change their eating habits in order to improve their health will tell you it had to be done.
- Women who know they’ll be ridiculed or maybe even shunned for seeking psychiatric help for their mental well being will tell you it had to be done.
- Women who gather the strength and find the resolve to leave abusive relationships will tell you it had to be done.
- Women who check themselves into rehab or go to AA meetings so they can get clean and sober will tell you it had to be done.
- Women who cut spending, create budgets and do away with retail therapy in order to get a handle on their finances will tell you it had to be done.
- Women who work several jobs so that the lights stay on will tell you it had to be done.
- Women who sacrifice manicures and pedicures so they can invest in themselves and their business will tell you it had to be done.
In order to get what you want out of life…in order to see the vision come to pass…in order to survive… in order to reach your goal…the next step, the next course of action becomes very clear.
And like the Breaking Bad character, your response to those who question your decision is simply, it had to be done.